Thursday, May 26, 2011

Journal Post and Garden Stuff

I've always wanted to have my own garden and I've waited several years to finally do this. It's still weird to think that we own our own house and have our own yard and can do whatever we want with it. Starting a vegetable garden was a must. We are starting small this year to learn how and get the hang of things. In our final backyard landscape design, we have a garden space as big as our house. We've made room for a large greenhouse and space for outside plants and berry bushes. This year I tried to start seedlings inside using the Aerogarden starter kit. I can't say that it was successful. It really didn't work well for plants that get big fast or for seeds that are big to begin with like beans. When I moved them outside to start hardening off they snapped and withered. Next year, I may only try tomatoes because they are the only plant that really needs to be started early. And use a fan everyday to help them be more sturdy. Any suggestions are welcome.


Our other goal this year is to get our front yard landscaped. We've drawn up a design for that and can't wait to get started. We like the look of lawn and flowers and tree's, but are trying to keep it fairly low maintenance. Most of our neighbors have mainly gravel front yards and it suits the look of their modern homes. We've tried to stick to a country-cottage look and may stand out, but I hope that it adds beauty to the neighborhood. It's been fun to spend evenings outside with the family working on projects.

Jared and Kendi have been going to the pool everyday for about a week and half now. Jared is teaching her to swim. I've gone with them a few times and I'm very surprised at how well Kendi does. She can swim faster than me. hahaha. Kendi used to hold her breath and dunk her head until her nose touched the water and that was all she would do. Now, she will dive under and kick her feet so fast and comes up grinning. They only spend about 45 minutes and she wears herself completely out. I'm so proud of her and the progress she's made.

Aydri has been potty training for more than a week now. I'm not sure I can say that its going well, but it's not going bad either. As long as I tell her to go she does fine, but she never goes on her own. She has to go every hour or she wets in her pants. This is so different from when Kendi potty trained that I don't know what to do next to get her to progress. I've been pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I feel like maybe she needs a consequence that will make her stop wetting in her pants and going to the potty herself. Making her practice ten times by going from the place she has an accident to the potty is like a game to her. Time-out isn't going to do it and I can't bring myself to give her a cold shower. What kind of punishment is appropriate for a two year old? For the time being, I'm just setting a timer for every hour and hoping she'll catch on.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of your yard! I hope the garden goes well! As for the cold shower thing, it totally back fired on Kirra. It was nothing but traumatizing. Not worth it. We used to have to remind Sydney to go to the restroom. Now she just does. I think with time she will figure it out. Good luck! I can't imagine having no kids in diapers. That would be fabulous!!!

Kelli said...

I'm no expert, but in my opinion the cold shower thing is borderline child abuse. The muscles in their tiny little bladders are still developing, and because they are so used to going in their diapers as soon as the urge strikes, they can't really stop it. Each child is different and will not typically do exactly as their older sibling(s) did, and some just get it faster than others, so be patient with her, in time she will get it. I never used pull-ups with my kids, not even at night, because they are so good at keeping the wet off them, and I think they need to feel how icky the wet is so they will try harder to use those muscles and hold it till they can get to the potty. Try letting her wear her wet pants for a bit after she has an accident and talk to her about how uncomfortable it is. They make really good mattress covers now that shield the wetness from the mattress. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the cost. Just tell yourself you're going to have accidents, and plan on it, but it won't be forever. Good luck!

fiftyfinally said...

cant remember how i got on this site, just kept hitting next.... and here i am. A few suggestions....My grandson is in potty training to go pooh cause he knows its a no no cause he hides behind things - so on my days that i babysit (wed evening to fri morn) I usually know the time of day that the earth moves for him so I start telling him that if he goes potty in the toilet he doesn't have to have a nap (he hates napping) i should say that he's 2+. so he does go to the bathroom and sits and pushes and makes a big performance (so far nothing has changed) it's only been two days this past week, but i plan on keeping it up and yes he did have a nap annd didnt like it. so i'm hoping this week things change

on the starting seeds front. This year i sprouted them first, tomatoes, beans peas cucs, zuccini. I just threw a couple sheets of paper towel on long rectangular plates dumped the seeds down, covered with more paper towel, then covered the whole mess with cloth rag and poured water over the whole mess to really saturate everything then placed plate over heat register (we had a crappy spring the furnace was in demand) and in less than a week ....viola then transf3ered into little peat pots and put them into plastic long ziploc containers or those see through containers that spinach and lettuce leaves from grocer come in....with lids and had mini greenhouses all over the house. it worked like a charm...sorry for being wordy

Ben and Anna said...

We did the same with Jay...every 30 minutes...after a 3 weeks, I got tired of it, and gave it a couple of months break. then, we had a naked day (or 2) and the whole peeing without unders on scared him enough to do the trick! hope you find something that works for you!

The Teagan Times said...

Are you on Pinterest? On there in my garden section I have a picture pinned where someone has made their salad garden look ornamental. It's so pretty. You should check it out with the space it sounds like you have. I'm definately no expert but it's always been my rule not to make potty training negative at all. Positive rewards worked for my kids.