Monday, April 20, 2009

Baby Aydri - Birth Story

Aydri was born April 18th at 7:37 pm. She weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. and was 20 inches long. Labor started about 2 am when contractions kept waking me up. I started watching the clock and realized they were about 4 minutes apart. I got up to see if it would make them change. They got to be about a minute apart for about an hour. Jared got up a 3 am to make waffles. We ate and got everything ready. After eating I noticed the contractions slowed down a little so I went to lay down to relieve the pain in my back. Contractions slowed down to about 10 minutes, but they were still intense so I knew this was for real. Got back up at 6 am. Contractions picked up again. My parents came and got Kendi at 8:00. We decided to go to the hospital so they could tell us how I was progressing. I originally wanted to stay home as long as I could because I wanted to go completely natural. My labor with Kendi was so quick and easy I thought this would be a possibility. I was glad we went to the hospital because as soon as they hooked me up to the monitors they could see a dip in the baby's hear rate with every contraction. The nurse immediately said that it looked like a "cord problem." She turned out to be right, but at the time we didn't know what kind of cord problem. She just suggested that the cord was tightening or getting pinched with the pressure from the contractions. The baby was not facing the right way and was causing a lot of back labor. I tried a lot of different things to get her to turn and she never did. My doctor was gone so the doctor on call suggested breaking my water to speed things up. I was surprised to learn that I was at 4 centimeters when I got to the hospital. I let them break my water and things did speed up fast. Contractions got harder and I started dilating quickly. A half an hour later i was 6 centimeters. They even got the room ready for the baby to come. Back labor got worse and wouldn't let up and the baby was still facing the wrong way. I stayed at 6 centimeters for a long time. At 6 pm there was still no progress from a 6. I was at my pain limit and felt like I was losing my strength and was going to pass out. The doctor came and told me they had to start pitocin because they had broke my water so long ago. I had been in labor for a total of 15 hours. Jared had talked me through every single contraction for the last 5 hours. Jared was the best coach. We were using the Bradley Method and it made all the difference. I told them not to start pitocin until I got an epidural. I had to wait for the anisthesiologist to get to the hospital. I got the epi and they started pitocin and I immediately started to feel that familiar pressure of the baby coming. After a half hour of the pit my progression was complete. I'm not sure what finally made her descend and face the right way, but it felt like a miracle to me. By then my doctor was back and was able to deliver Aydri. We found out that the cord was wrapped around her so tight that it wasn't letting her turn the right way or descend like she was supposed to. The doctor had to cut the cord off her before she was all the way out. She wasn't breathing so the respiratory therapists took her to get her breathing quickly. She was fine after about a minute. She scored well on all the tests and is doing really well still. She nurses all night, sleeps all day and seems to be pretty content. She looks a lot like Kendi did when she was born.

Just Born
After 18 hours of Labor.

Kendi absolutely loves Aydri. She told us that mom and dad can stay at the hospital and she was going to take Aydri home. She kept running off to the nursury to look at her. She kept calling her "My Baby."


Proud Daddy. So willing to help.

13 comments:

RonElaine said...

Oh, I LOVE all her hair! I'm so happy that things are going well. We want to bring you dinner...let us know when your RS dinners are over.

Please let us know if you guys need (or want) anything - we'd love to help!

Tulsi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm glad she is finally here. My best friend from High School teaches the Bradly method here in Cedar. Brie is planning on an Epidural so she hasn't thought of that direction. I had Brie natural and an epidural with the other two. I bet you are so glad to have the pregnancy end. Have so much fun with your little girls. You have your family here, but if I can help, call me.

Lyndsay said...

Congratulations! She's Precious!

Kristan Carter said...

Congrats!! We are so excited for you. Good job on the labor part, seems like you were a trooper...She is really cute and I love the name...Get some sleep when you can.

Ben and Anna said...

Congrats! That is so exciting. I am glad she came alright and you didn't have to go c-section. I tried to go natural with James but did the same as you, and wouldn't progress past a 6, so we got an epi with the pit. You are so TOUGH! I hope you get lots of sleep and have tons of laughs.

DeLange said...

She's so cute !! We're glad she's here and everything is okay. We can't wait to see her.

barrettandaudrey said...

Congrates!!!! You did incredible laboring as long as you did. I want to do natural as well, but I know that sometimes we don't have control, and the main goal is to get a healthy baby here! I am so glad she is doing good, she is beautiful!

Kollen Marchant said...

Congratulations. She is so beautiful. We are so excited for your little family. The labor part seems awful but I'm glad it all turned out okay.

Whit said...

Congrats on the new little cutie!

Becky said...

I love that you ate waffles at 3am before you went in! LOL! I was laughing at that:)
Anyway, I have been checking your blog a ton lately just waiting for the news-Congrats!!!! I'm so glad everything turned out okay in the end. That's so scary to find any kind of complications!!!

Becky said...

PS-you look AMAZING after 18 hours of labor!!!!

Janae' said...

Oh Shoobashoobs she's so cute! Congratulations to you! She's a lucky girl to be part of your family! Love the waffles at 3am.

Tyann said...

What a beautiful baby girl, LeAnn!! I'm so happy that all turned out well. So sorry to hear the labor was so long. I'm sure the RS is bringing you meals, but if you need anything, please let me know. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful husband to help out. Kendi must be in heaven. Little girls love little babies! Rachel says hi! :)