Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sentimental Value

I was thinking the other day that I wish my blog was more like the ones that didn't just post pictures with short little descriptions. I enjoy reading the blogs by people who can write about the normal mundane things we all do and make it enjoyable and funny. After writing this post, I realize that I am a multitasking, distracted, mother that gladly gets up to help her kids several times while trying to post on the blog. It would take an lot more effort and way too much time for someone with limited writing skills, like me, to make this sound interesting, let alone organized. So I apologize that this sounds like ramblings instead of a well thought out piece of work.

I have finally started to decorate my house the way I like it. When I was first married I thought we were too poor to decorate. HA! I didn't know what poor was. So, I always thought that decorating was a want and not a necessity. I still do to some extent. I refuse to pay money for things just because they look nice. I know I've said that more than once on here. I want my home to be filled with things that have meaning. When you're home is filled with hand-me-downs (other peoples junk), you don't really love being there. I know that sounds shallow, but it really is annoying for artistically minded people to live in a clashing environment. Lately, my moods seem to be more sensitive then normal and I find myself seeking calm and peaceful places. If this wasn't true, the temples would be simple buildings. So anyway, I've been trying to make our home environment a more homey and peaceful place that we love to be. We have no extra money for this. So, I started by getting sewing supplies from my mom and making nursing covers to sell on ebay. My plan was to do projects that would generate more and more money to keep me going on more projects. This was also fulfilling my need for creativity. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. It is so much cheaper and satisfying when you make things and redo furniture yourself. You get what you love without the hefty price tag. Those things have a lot more sentimental value to you as well. This is where my birthday and Christmas money go. Even Jared has gotten involved and contributed his gift money. Our home is sloooooooooowly evolving. I'm finally deciding what styles I like and don't like. I find myself drawn toward the antiqued-white, farmhouse style furniture. I love natural light. If it were up to me I would live in a house full of windows. In the little home we live in now, there is a serious lack of windows. I'm pretty sure I'm claustrophobic after living here, but don't get me wrong, I love this place for many reasons. We used have two really dark green old couches. I reupholstered one of them and although it didn't turn out like I thought it would, it changes the mood in the room to a more tolerable one. Some day, I may be brave enough to post a picture of it. As we were reupholstering it Kendi was mad. She talked about how she liked the dark green and she told us not to do it to the other one. For a moment, I wanted to do exactly what she wanted so she would feel better. But I knew that this is just a small change in relation to how life changes and it is something we all need to get used to coping with. I don't want to shelter her from lessons she will have to eventually learn anyway. To a three year old this was traumatizing. We gave away the other sofa that was in front of the window. I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I didn't realize how much light it was blocking and seemed to be absorbing. Our living room is a whole new place. I'm enjoying just sitting here watching the snow fall calmly outside the big window. I could never just sit here before. It always felt like it needed to be cleaner in here even when it wasn't messy. As my parents were driving off with the couch in the back of their truck, Kendi watched out the window. As I was thinking, "Good riddance," she sighed, "I'm really going to miss that thing."

5 comments:

skinners said...

i thought this was very well written and organized- interruptions or not! i love reading your blog and the biggest thing i want to change on mine is adding more pictures and talking about my girls - things you are great at.

i love what you have said about your house and the atmosphere and everything having meaning. when we move this summer to a new place, i want to CHEAPLY decorate our home how i like it. i will be looking to your blog for inspiration!

and i love jared's pictures/frames for sale. maybe when we're done with all this training and student loans.... so we can talk about it in 5 years or so. :)

123123 said...

You are so cute. I agree with you, I like reading what people have to say in their blogs. I have heard that most people don't, so I feel like if I write a paragraph, no one is reading it. Thank you for not being in that group!

And I have seen your "new" couch and I think you did an amazing job!! I can't imagine your living room without that other couch, I bet it is so much more open!! If you ever need help, just yell (err... call!)

andrea said...

That's awesome that you have found something you love. I felt the same way you have about being too poor to get nice things. I've found after going to school to be an interior designer and learning about furniture and fabrics that you can do so much to make your home look great. Such as refinishing furniture. places like Pottery Barn use wood veneers and plywood and sell it for a lot of money. You are not getting what you paid for. By refinishing furniture and if they are made of actual wood, you get more than your moneys worth, you get satisfaction that you created something great! If you ever need tips on decorating ideas or furniture arrangement ideas, let me know! There are some great websites out there as well to get some great ideas. Best of luck and post some pictures of your creations!

Kristan Carter said...

I love reading peoples blogs as well. Very well written and please post pictures I am sure it looks amazing.

Tyann said...

I know what you mean about getting one couch out of the living room and it freeing up space. We got rid of our love seat and it felt like a whole new room. How did you know how to redue your couch? Ours is in desperate need of some help!!!