Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dresser - Before & After

I can't even remember how long ago we picked up this dresser, but I found my before pictures in my February folder so I've been working on this since then. We picked up this dresser at DI. We bought it right as it came off someone trailer. I think they were mad that they didn't try to sell it themselves. All the dressers inside were over-priced and they gave us a discount for not having to haul it inside. We paid $60 and that was still a lot more than I originally wanted to find a dresser for. But it looked good compared to $95 and $100+ inside the store.

This dresser was quite ugly. Because we bought it so fast I began to get worried about it on the way home. It had a lot more metal details on it than you can see in this picture. It was very medieval looking. You can faintly see what was in front of the giant hinge looking things if you look hard enough. It also had huge metal handles that I had already removed. We thought the whole thing was solid wood, but when we got it home we realized the little doors were not. I still sanded them down like the rest of the dresser.

By sanded, I mean I roughed up the wood and smoothed out the scratches. I knew I wanted the whole thing to be white. So I didn't bother to take it back to the natural wood.

Here it is after painting. We used my paint sprayer that Jared got me for Christmas. It worked wonderfully. The best thing was that it put nice, thick, even coats of paint on and by the time we were done with the first coat it was dry enough to do another coat. The painting process took all of about an hour and twenty minutes. It took a little while to get the hang of it and the right consistency of paint and water, but it still went really fast.
I ordered the hardware on ebay. I paid .99 cents for the knobs and I think about 3 -4 dollars for the pulls. They were the only pulls larger than 3 inches that didn't cost $80. I like the way they look.
Sorry that the pictures are a little skewed. I was maneuvering around the bed.
Isn't she pretty? She really brightens up the room. I still need to put a coat of finish on it and I can't wait to do some more projects. I'm so glad Jared loves to help me with my crazy ideas.

4 comments:

andrea said...

I think this turned out great!!! I love good steals at the DI. I've been able to find some great things at cheap prices. You just have to keep your eye out. I found a beautiful night stand at the DI up in washington State for $2.00 and after 4 days of working on it with sanding, primer, and base coat it turned out beautifully!
can't wait to see more of your projects.

Mandi said...

That looks so good! You guys made it look so much different and I love it! great job! can't wait to see more of you projects!!

Meridy said...

pretty awesome!

Unknown said...

That seriously rocks! NICE JOB! I am going to be on a hunt for some after we get into our house for the girls' room. I LOVE white in little girls' room. I may need to recruit you for some help! ;0)