Thursday, May 27, 2010

Celebrating Seven Years

Jared and I celebrated our Seventh Wedding anniversary this week. We've been talking about hiking Angel's Landing for a while and decided that our anniversary would be a good time. Zion is a place we often come on our anniversary because it's so close and always warm in May.

We tried to take our own picture. Haha.
Jared had never hiked Angel's Landing. As a kid, I thought Angel's Landing was a wimpy hike that everyone had done. Jared hadn't even heard of it and this time proved to me that I'm not in as good as shape as I used to be. At the trail-head it had a description saying that its not for people who are out of shape and that it has obstacles that people have died on. Someone fell to their death just one month ago.
This is looking down Walter's Wiggles. The whole five-miles (round trip) are steep, but this is the steepest part just before the Chains. Going down hurt more than going up.
After Walter's Wiggles you get to Scout Lookout. A lot of people stop here. This is where the last person fell 1,000 feet to her death. If you continue on you come to a half mile of Chains. As a kid, I didn't use the chains. I thought they were there to help you pull your self up. This time, I didn't let go of the chains. They are there to keep you from falling off the ledges.

This is the narrowest part. The ledge narrows to about three feet wide with 1,000 feet of sheer cliff on both sides. Notice how I was not going to let go. Even though this was a good day for my vertigo I had to concentrate on keeping my eyes on the trail.
Here is a picture of the narrow ledge you hike across to get to the landing.
There were so many people there that it made it even more dangerous. Its not a two-way trail. We waited here for a group of people to pass. We got down on our stomach's and looked over the edge. The cliff was concave here so all you could see was the river 1,000 feet below. One glance was enough for me.
Just after the chains, before the landing.
Sitting on the landing, eating lunch. We were able to call Kendi from here. Later, we found a 3D map of Zion and Angel's Landing isn't even close to being one of the highest peaks.
The squirrels are so used to being fed that they would come right up to my hand to see if I had anything. Fat little thing. We thought he was going to jump in our pack.
We really enjoyed this whole trip. The drive down is beautiful and we may consider moving to Toquerville. Haha. Thanks, babe, for a wonderful seven years. Here's to many more.

1 comments:

Sheri said...

How fun! I hiked that as a teenager and then went backpacking down the Narrows. Both very fun/tiring!