Sunday, May 16, 2010

Zion's Subway

Yesterday, Jared had the privilege of doing a back-country hike with my family. It was Jared's first time doing the Subway. It is well known that its not a Bulloch family outing unless your life is in danger. I wanted to go, but didn't have a good feeling about it and I've learned not to ignore those feelings. I was very jealous and sad, but I've done it several times already. I knew it was a grueling hike that can be down right miserable at times. This time proved to be quite the experience. My dad, whose done this more than 20 times, has never experienced it this early in the year. And what a difference a month can make. There were torrents of icey snow run-off that made them avoid the water as much as possible. Later, in the year it gets so hot that you would normally enjoy being in the water.

Sorry, these pictures were taken with an old point and shoot, we didn't want to ruin the expensive camera. Jared couldn't believe the scenery even at the beginning of the hike. The back-country of Zion makes the tourist-congested areas seem silly. He wants to come back and paint someday.
Jared went with my dad and two of my sisters, Cari and Jana.
If I have the hike memorized as well as I think I do, this is right before they dropped into the canyon. Some of these pictures are out of order because I haven't figured out the order that blogger loads them yet. Drives me crazy!
You hike for a couple of miles on layers of sandstone. We named these the "pancakes". You must cut your toenails before walking downhill over these.
Here they are dropping into the canyon. I think the correct name is Left Fork of North Creek.
When you get to the bottom there is normally a large alcove with sand at the bottom to wait for everyone to get down safely and to watch for falling rocks. This time they were in water up to their thighs. This is when it became apparent that there was a dangerous amount of water in the canyon. My dad had never seen it like this and considered turning back. If you know my dad, you know that he is too big of a die hard. I haven't done this hike for about eight years and that was back when we were in a serious drought. I'm used to seeing just a trickle of water throughout the whole hike.

This waterfall must be there every spring, but we've never seen it before.
This part of the hike was always the scariest for me. There used to be a huge log across the gaping whole in the front of the picture. I can't imagine how they got across without it. It's about a thirty foot drop with a torrent of water at the bottom. See the little people on the left?
Some more never-before-seen waterfalls.
My dad trying to get warm in the little bit of sunlight.
The shivering group of people.
Cari and Dad in the "Subway."
Normally, we don't see water here.
The cascades. Usually, you can avoid walking through the water here. My dad said he was walking along and unexpectedly stepped into a hole and was in water up to his chest.
It took them a lot longer to finish the hike because they had to rappal a lot in order to avoid swimming. I had told Jared that if anyone mentioned the "duck walk" that he should not do it. It isn't safe. Apparently, they didn't think they would last a minute in the water so the duck walk became a safer route.
More of the Subway. Jared said that the rest of the hike was too intense to take pictures. And the last couple of miles were just boulder-hopping. He really enjoyed it and would love to go again. Hopefully, I'll get more pictures from everyone else and post them soon.

2 comments:

Tammy and Adrian said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Wish we could've joined.

The Teagan Times said...

I really want to take the kids to Zion. I don't know if it will happen this year with the reunion and all but soon. It's so pretty! Love your pictures.