Saturday, April 23, 2011

Leaf to Leaf Home-School

I've been working on setting up our home-school and it has been exciting. We really like the Thomas Jefferson Education style of teaching. You can learn more about it at tjed.org. Basically, it focuses on mentoring kids to become leaders through reading the classics the way that George Wythe mentored Thomas Jefferson. I don't necessarily want my kids to be political leaders, I just want them learn "how" to think not just "what" to think. I want them to be leaders of themselves.


I also like Diane Hopkins way of home-schooling. She is a mother who home-schooled her seven kids. I love the patriotic and religious curriculum that she uses and sells. I follow her blog and you can tell her kids are happy in their "old-fashioned" sense of morals.

I've started a new blog to track our home-school. You can find it at leaftoleaf.blogspot.com. Right now it is still a work in progress. It's mostly a place for me to keep track of successes and failures. It helps me to have something to look at to see what we are and aren't doing and what needs improvement and to show how much we've accomplished. I hope you'll follow us and find some things that you can do with your kids too. Whether you home-school or not. It would be fun to have multiple people reading the classics along with us.

1 comments:

Chalise said...

Addie still asks about Kendi...in fact, I think she has asked more about Kendi in the last few months than all her other friends combined. She just keeps asking if we can see Kendi when we go out to visit Utah.
How are you liking your new house?