Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Imagine

Imagine no possessions. I've never liked the song "Imagine" for obvious reasons, but I never listened clear through to the third verse. I still don't like the song, but this phrase has been stuck in my head ever since American Idol last night. Seriously...Imagine no possessions. In my opinion, there are a lot of worldly items that are overpriced, unnecessary, and a waste of our attention.

I don't think that our minds can even comprehend the amount of money spent on items which only purposes are to show off the standard of living we live in or the standard of living we want other people to think that we live in. If I were to go around my home and total all the wasted money spent on objects that are overpriced and not a necessity, I would probably go crazy trying to think of ways to get that money back. I'm not extravagant by any means. One of my favorite things is seeing the shock on peoples faces when we tell them how little our family lives on. And then they always ask, "How do you do it?" We live quite comfortably actually. My question is how do people spend so much and have nothing to show for it?

I can't count the minutes of the day that I waste thinking about how someday I'll have clothes that I will look forward to wearing, furniture that won't pop a spring out when I sit down and someday I'll have a screaming computer or a newer car. Don't we all have something in the back of our minds? What's your next big purchase?

What if I stopped thinking so much about how to benefit myself with my own hard earned money and put that energy toward something that will benefit people who are less fortunate that I. What if everyone stopped spending money on luxury items and put it toward helping our fellow men? How much money would that be? It would certainly be enough to make the world a different place.

I'm pretty sure that after I die and think back on my life some things I won't be thinking are: "I wish I'd spent more money on myselft," or "I wish that I worried more about my wrinkles and hair do." I hope that those things don't even enter my mind. And if it won't matter then, should it really matter now?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DIDO!

Kollen Marchant said...

That's very deep. I wonder how do I put off the natural man and stop wanting all the things I do not have or want. Your amazing.