Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Reason for Homeschooling

I've been reading a lot of homeschooling blogs lately to learn other people's techniques and experiences. We all seem to be passionate about the same reason's for homeschooling. Courtney from My Ordinary, Happily Ever After posted this on her blog:

We’ve seen the news stories about these new “sex ed” programs that teach all sorts of things that we weren’t taught in school under the guise of “preventing bullying”. But this report shows the true purpose of why the radical “sexual agenda” is trying to infiltrate our schools.

This report was created by UN Special Rapporteur Vernor Munoz who was under mandate from the UN as an “expert” to issue an unbiased report on “the right to education”. Based on the content of his work, he is clearly not “unbiased” nor is he an “expert”.

Among other things, this report claims that existing international treaties create a “Right to Sexual Education” (which they don’t) and that they only way to enforce this fabricated “right” is by implementing a sexual education program that not only undermines parental authority, religious convictions and traditional values, but also releases our children (and society as a whole) from any form of self control and gives them carte blanche to nearly any and all sexual behavior (except abstinence and restraint, of course).

The report discusses what helps young people “have better sexual lives”, as if improving the sexual lives of youth is a valid goal of governments, and it strangely states that the “goal of education for sexuality” (which is significantly different from traditional sex education) is “to develop a transforming role for men by going beyond the …physical aspect,” whatever that means.

REALLY? Since when does ANYONE want the government in their bedroom? Regardless of your beliefs on sexual orientation, I doubt that many people agree that it is the governments job to teach about technique in our classrooms.

Specifically, in the report Munoz states that he “considers that pleasure in an enjoyment of sexuality . . . should be one of the goals of comprehensive sexual education, abolishing guilt feelings about eroticism that restrict sexuality to the mere reproductive function. ”With regard to HIV the report declares that “restricting sexual education to the issue of sexually transmitted diseases . . . may create an erroneous association between sexuality and disease, which is as harmful as associating it with sin.”

To read her entire post go HERE.

They want to teach this to five year olds. I know there is a lot to be debated about why we should or shouldn't homeschool, but this is a big reason for me. Not just because of how the government is getting involved with Sex Ed, but because of what is becoming socially acceptable in modern society. And then not just acceptable, but expected among kids.

I don't think less of people who put their kids in public education either. I'm still open to all ideas of education and am not sure what I'll end up doing yet. I just feel like the battle between good and evil is getting more challenging and I want to know that I TRIED to do all that I could for my kids. If you have more information on what is going on with Sexual Education in schools, please share.

3 comments:

Tulsi said...

My baby is a Junior. She had a Sex Ed class in 7th or 8th grade. We could opt out. Luckily, we are still in Utah where many many things are not brought up. I did hear a couple of years ago that they wanted to change things up, but so far Utah has said no. And it doesn't bring up anything in the bedroom. Just basics. One year in Price they got a certain person to teach the Maturation program in 5th grade. She brought up soooo much stuff. Brie and Kass were past that and Mikele wasn't there yet. A lady from our ward took over. That's who Mikele had and she did a good job of keeping to the subject. I'm glad I don't have more kids to have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure Brie and Shane won't homeschool, at least not solely, so I'm glad for the opt out option. If they took that away. I would be homeschooling a subject. All 3 of my kids are so social that a 3A school is a good fit for them. But I almost homeschooled Kass in 4th grade. Awful teacher who taught bullying kids who didn't fit her cookie cutter student. He was ready for me to, but wanted to give it another try. I volunteered at the school daily and walked past his class daily and sometimes took him out of class to ask him questions. The principal said I could. In fact, it was up to me whether he sent this teacher to teach in the boonies about an hour away from our town. She sucked up to me bad. I didn't want a problem, but thought he should mix up the teachers. He did. She taught another grade. Mikele's preschool teacher went to 4th. I just wanted my son protected. There were lots of us that had trouble in 4th grade with 4 teachers. I think I'm the only one who was at the school daily. Mikele was in Kindergarten. I don't homeschool because I never in my life took algebra and they do so much in 3rd grade. I'm not that structured. And the kids have done fine. I did have to take Kass out of 2 classes in his Jr. year when Steve was in Afghanistan because they were anti war and told the kids of the soldiers that it was their own fault that their dads were at war. Plus, they called Kass names when he stood up for himself and told them he had every intention of joining when he was 17. I called a meeting and told them Steve was a soldier before we ever got married and I wanted my son removed from their class. And my son would protect their right to be stupid. No second chance. I know the principal at CHS because he and Steve were in the best friend group in HS and he didn't question me. We double dated. I don't look for confrontation, but I was not messing around as a single mother having no clue how to be one. I think having a choice to homeschool, do half and half, and to attend public or charter school is great.

barrettandaudrey said...

You put it so well, and I feel the same way. Homeschool has been great with Daven, and I love spending that time with him. I believe that it is a prayerful decision and that if we are really listening the Lord will guide us. Our children are so important to Him! I would love to share with you some of my great homeshcooling finds sometime, there are so many wonderful things out there.

Debbie Budge said...

I've homeschooled for 23 years (8 kids). This is just one of the reasons why. Good luck to you!